न चोरहार्यं, न च राजहार्यंन भ्रातृभाज्यं न च भारकारि ।व्यये कृते वर्धत एव नित्यंविद्याधनं सर्वधनप्रधानम् ।।
Neither a thief can steal, nor can any government take it by force.It cannot be divided among siblings and will never become a burden.The more it is used, the more it grows.That is why the knowledge is the best treasure.
In the era of instant gratification, the first question that comes to one’s mind is:Why am I doing it?I could easily open a bottle from a store and just chill!
For an experience seeker, each batch is a melting pot of various ideas, concepts and possibilities. I would try my best to read the translations of various historical text and to recreate them whenever applicable. Just like any chef: Whenever I start a new batch, my mood, local weather and my patron’s personality would guide me to tweak the recipe to suit the purpose. I would try my best to make my audience understand their palate and preferences. This book started as a memoir of my experiments and travel to find that perfect drink. However, soon it evolved into a guidebook for fellow amateur hobbyist.
Of course, each one of us have our own mission and quest in life. When we surveyed home brewers to share why they ferment, the top 10 reasons were:
- I love to drink (host parties) and I will learn a ton about my passion if I make on my own.
- It is a cool hobby and unveiling them at my house parties makes me feel like a rock star. I am proud of my culinary skills and enjoy the limelight that it brings.
- The store liquor is so boring. Their beers are too bitter and wines too sweet. Half of the imported beer are nearing expiry by the time they hit the stores.
- I have some free time and this seems like a hobby worth pursuing. After all, it pays for itself.
- Making at home saves me a lot every month/ weekend. The wines are so expensive, why should I buy when I can make them myself. The recipe calls for balsamic vinegar and no stores in India keep it. Wines for marinating or cooking are too expensive. Sake and rice vinegar for Asian cuisine are not stocked.
- I get a hangover whenever I drink. By controlling the ingredients, I will get the quality I deserve.
- It is a hobby and helps me make new friends.
- It teaches me patience and moderation.
- Helps me express my love and care to my better half by making her/ him feel special.
- For some health reasons: The commercial brands do not have a solution for celaric disease (gluten free beers), sulphide induced migraines, vegetarianism (commercial wines uses fish gut isinglass), organic/ preservative free drinks etc. Making tinctures, probiotics or Arishtam to cure ailments needs customized brews.
Whatever be our reasons, the common thread is “Its fun, gives me pride, is economical, helps me socialize and it is a healthy experience.” This book is a simple fun guide to help newbies take their first step in the wonderful world of fermentation. We promote food-craft, where the food can be tailor-made for the occasion. We would like to point out that distillation of liquor is illegal in any quantity and this book is not to preach about breaking laws but to help one get more involved with the food they consume.
Now let’s try to explore why our ancestors home brewed!!!