Roots are full of natural probiotic bacteria that can help restore
Sweet Potato Kvass
Convert your sweet potato into a healthy probiotic bubbly drink.
- fermenter (a pickle jar with a lid) ~2 Liters
- 400 gm raw sweet potato washed, peeled and grated
- 150 gm Jaggery or brown sugar
- Add the grated sweet potato in your 2 Liter fermenter jar
- mix jaggery and add water to create about 2 liters of mixture
- Cover it with a cloth tied to the lid and wait for 2 days for fermentation to pick up speed.
- Stir it every day to prevent mold formation and making sure the sugar dissolves and mixes well
- After 2 days when it becomes bubbly. Taste it periodically to ensure it is not too tangy.
- Filter with a cloth (chalni) and pour it in air tight bottles.
- give another day or two for bottles to become carbonated. Then chill the bottles and serve.
Since sugar is fermented out, it is actually a low-calorie beverage. You can add ginger and spices to taste.
Buy Related Products
If you liked this recipe, do check out other root recipes.