This simple guide poster has the 22 steps that one needs to follow in order to make a lovely home-made wine in the traditional European way. You can buy yeast, ingredients and equipment at Arishtam
- Sort the Grapes. Remove any pests, leaves, stems, and rotten fruit.
- Destem the grapes and crush them.
- Collect the juice (Called Must) in a bucket. Add Campden powder to kill mold.
- Add wine yeast. Hydrate before adding.
- Add Yeast Nutrients. This is because grape juice is very low on proteins.
- Also, add some Malic Acid to reduce acidity.
- Allow the wine to ferment in a closed but wide lid fermenter
- Daily punch the top. It allows the floating skin to get mixed. Prevents mold infection. Also, it allows for alcohol to extract the maximum red color, wine pigment, and tannins.
- Use a triple scale hydrometer to gauge the extent of fermentation.
- After 70% of the fermentation is over (roughly 5-7 days), squeeze the juice out.
- Separate the skin and the seeds from the wine. Use a filter mesh or wine press to extract maximum wine out.
- Pour it into a smaller fermenter and put an airlock.
- Optional: Add wine Tannins.
- You can also add Oak chips to improve color and flavors.
- Be patient for at least 3 weeks (longer is better). Allow the wine to naturally settle and ferment on its own. The taste will drastically improve during this time.
- Rack the wine using a siphon. This will help separate out the sediments and produce a very clear wine.
- Very Important: Taste the wine. Make adjustments to pH, spices, etc. to get the perfect wine.
- Add Campden if you are bottling dry. A wine Stabilizer is preferred if you are adding sugar and want a sweet taste.
- Bottle the wine.
- Put a nice cork. Personalize the bottle with a lovely label.
- Wait for the right occasion and celebration
- Invite friends over and drink. Don’t forget to share the wisdom of how wine is prepared at home.
Buy Related Products
Home Made Wine Market in India