Spicy Pumpkin Ale is a traditional winter recipe which comes from Germany. It is called fruit beer owing to the fact that it has a residual sweetness. Moreover, it has aromas of freshly roasted pumpkin. The recipe can be tweaked to be made without any hops. The roasting of pumpkin really brings out some lovely flavors and mouthfeel. This is the recipe where one can go overboard with spices, aromatics roots, peppery seeds, and barks. The recipe below is the basic version. Please customize it to get the signature flavors out. I prefer my pumpkin ale to be orange, cloudy, and less carbonated, but it can be altered to a dark and clear as well.
Spicy Pumpkin Ale
- Brewzilla 35 liters kettle
- Stainless Steel Brew Bucket
- siphon and bottling equipment
- 3 kg Malt extract, Pilsner malt (add 3.75kg instead) or base malt remember to use extra weight for grains.
- 3 kg Roasted pumpkin Take overripe pumpkin and peel them.
- 0.5 kg Caramel/crystal/carapills To get that malty sweet flavor
- 0.5 kg Munich/Victory or roasted malt Use the SRM calcultor to get the right beer color.
Spices & Hops
- 10 gm Magnum or bittering hops Add them 60 minutes before flame off
- 30 gm Citra Hop Add them 15 minutes before flame off.
- 12 gm Peeled fresh ginger
- 1 stick Cinamon Don't use powder
- 10 Kernels Cloves
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 8 gm Garam Masala Customize this to your taste
- 10 gm Stout Porter Beer Yeast
- 50 gm Priming Sugar
- 6 gm Irish Moss
- Take the ripe pumpkin (but before it dries up). Remove the seeds and peel the rind (hard skin)
Set your oven at 180 Degree Celsius and bake the pumpkin for 90 minutes. Cover the tray with a aluminium silver foil so that moisture is retained. (like a pie)
- Mash the baked pumpkin into a pulp and now we are ready for step 2
- Depending on your style (extract based wort, all grain wort or the combination), set the mashing temperature and steps.
- Add about 1 Liter of water for every 500gm of grain plus pumpkin mixture. Add the combination to 65° Celsius for 60 minutes followed by 20 minutes at 75 degrees. If using extract, skip to next step.
- Add spices & bittering hops for 60 minutes, aromatic hops for the last 10-15 minutes. Add irish moss in the last 10 minutes.
- Cool the wort to 30 degrees and add hydrated dry beer yeast.
- Transfer the primary and allow it to ferment it out for a week
- Cold crash to make it less hazy for 48 hours.
- Add ½ teaspoon of priming sugar per pint and bottle it
- After 3 days serve at your halloween party.