Any fruit can be pulped and made into wine. The banana recipe can easily be modified to use pineapple, mango, apple etc.
Ingredients: (per liter)
Simple Banana Wine Recipe
Convert your homegrown organic bananas into a wonderful fruity wine.
- Arishtam's fruit cider kit
- ½ kg Banana overripe bananas are preferred whose skin have started browning but not rotten ½ kg,
- ½ liter White grape juice ½ liter
- Orange & Lemon juice to regulate pH quarter to half a cup,
- 200 gm Sugar
- Tannin oak, tea leaves, banana skins etc.,
- Pectin Enzyme half teaspoon
- Wine yeast
- Campden potassium meta-bi-sulphite,
- Amylase enzyme
- Yeast nutrients
- Acid blend
- Spices to taste.
- ProcessDay 1: Peel the bananas if carbide or pesticides are used. If they are homegrown organic, then one can wash them and use the peel (Adds tannins and golden color). Try to cut them in small pieces without mashing them. The goal is to increase the surface area for the yeast to eat them.
- If there is excessive mold damage, then we can boil the bananas for 30 minutes. Keeping them tied inside a cloth bag will prevent charring or off-flavors. Campden (1/2gm for 4 liters) is added commercially to kill wild microbes and to avoid the hassle of boiling fruit.
- Add grape juice to add to the body and water to make the volume to about 1.5 liters (Banana has heavy sediments which leads to a lot of wine loss)
- Add some enzymes (Pectinase & amylase). Pectinase helps to loosen the binding between the cells and amylase will remove the starch haze seen with a few tropical fruits.
- Add sugar until the hydrometer reading is 1.100.
- Regulate the pH to 4.0 using a pH meter, acid blend (decreases pH) and CaCO3. (increases pH)
- Cover with a lid and wait overnight for Campden to dissipate away.
- Day 2 onwards
- Time to add yeast, yeast nutrients
- Stir twice every day so that the top layer does not develop mold.
- Refer to basic grape wine recipe for the rest of the steps. Move to secondary fermenter once the hydrometer reads ~1.040
- Keep in the secondary for about 4 to 8 weeks to get a clear golden color beverage. (Follow the grape wine steps for the rest of the process)
Beware of this wine. It is always much more intoxicating than the alcohol content shown by hydrometer. So always drink in moderation.
Buy Related Products
Any fruit can be converted to a nice wine or cider.