Organic Yeast nutrient contains autolyzed yeast DAP along with vitamins, zinc and micronutrients. it does not contain chemicals like Di-ammonium phosphate. Each gram of yeast nutrient blend provides the ~150mg of YAN needed for the yeast. YAN or Yeast Assimilable Nitrogen, needed for it to multiply and prevent stuck fermentation. DAP is multivitamins for the yeast to create strong cultures. We can also use yeast nutrients as yeast energizers during stuck fermentation. It is good to stop the yeast from mutilating in a stressed environment – high sugar, low pH, low temperature, zero oxygen, etc.
Dosage for Yeast Nutrient
For Yeast Nutrient DAP: Use between 0.5gm to 2gm per liter. Do note that higher sugar (or alcohol levels) and low O2 levels stress the yeast. So higher is your Brix/ Degree Plato values, the more nutrients you need to add. If you are step-feeding sugar in your wines, please add nutrients also in each step.
For grain mash 0.5gm per liter added along with yeast starter gives the best results.
Also recommended to be used along with stir plates if you are washing/propagating yeasts and other wild cultures. Agar & petri-dish can be obtained from the medical labs.
TTB (American Alcohol & Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau) limits yeast nutrients to 1.468 g/l, which is enough to give the YAN (yeast assimilable nitrogen) to give 15% v/v strength of ethanol.
Benefits of using Nutrient Blends
- Removes the sulfur smell from fermenting (which is usually because of stressed yeasts).
- Improves the Alcohol ABV by helping yeast finish fermenting dry.
- Accelerates the fermentation rates especially for brewers of winters and Himalaya regions.
- Reduces diacetyl and off-flavor notes from fermented beer and wine.
- Diammonium Phosphate provides the necessary nutrients for yeast to make basic amino acids. Hence the yeast colony does not mutate and there is flavor consistency.