Pomegranate (Punica granatum) is also called अनार (Anar) in Hindi. It is one of the healthiest fruits of India. It is loaded with antioxidants and Vitamins C, K and Folic Acid. The fruit has anti-inflammatory properties and hence can be useful to fight cancer. In Ayurveda, pomegranate juice is used to purify the blood. Furthermore, the red wine from pomegranate is a boom to the farmers who are unable to get the right transport. Farmers in India often don’t get the right prices for this fruit which is grown mostly in rainfed (non-irrigated) drylands. Pomegranate can also be used to make a wonderful Red Wine. In this section, we will try doing the same with the help of the recipe provided.
Add some sugar, some wine yeast in fruit juice and you are good to go. Here is the detailed step by step recipe.
Pomegranate Wine Anar
- 2 kg Anar fruit
- 200 gm Black Rasins you can substitute with 150gm sugar but color will be lighter
- 2 gm red wine yeast
Juicing the Pomegranate Seeds
- Cut the fruit into 4 so that you canpick out the seeds by hand. Some people use the Pomegranate juicer. However if the skin of your pomogrenate fruit is too bitter, then using the seed alone will make better wine.
- In a container start collecting the juicy red seeds
- Sort the fruit by hand to remove any rotten seeds. You can (optional) freeze the seeds as well for a later date.
- If you don't have a juicer, then tie them in a nylon cloth and squeeze the juice out of Anar Pomegranate. Remember the red color of this fruit strains the dress so wear an apron.
- For maximum juice efficiency, use a spoon and a large stainless steel sieve and rub the seeds against it. It will break the pulp and juice all the seeds
- Pour some fresh water over the residue to extract the maximum flavors out of the seeds.
Increasing Alcohol Content
- Finely chop black raisins and soak them in luke warm water overnight
- Boil the raisins along with the water and cool it. Add it to your fruit juice and transfer to your fermenter
- Mix the Juice with raisins. You can add some sugar instead of raisins to increase the alcohol content.
- Add Arishtam's Red wine yeast (2-3gm). Hydrate the yeast for 15 minutes at 25 Degrees Celsius temperature water
- Add an S type of 3 piece airlock and wait for 10 days for fermentation to complete
- Age the wine for about 1 month for it to natuarally clear up. Serve in your party