Plam wine, also known as toddy, is an alcoholic beverage. Traditional toddy is made by collecting the fresh palm tree sap. It has a very short shelf life. Finding palm trees in cities and skilled manpower is a difficult task. Also tapping the tree without drying it out ha become rare. Hence this recipe is switching to green tender coconut, which is ubiquitously available in most cities.
The traditional toddy is made from coconut palm sap which is left overnight to ferment. It is a sweet sour drink with low alcohol content. This recipe tries to mimic the same taste but without the hassles of tapping the tree (which is illegal/regulated in India). Yeast sugar and tender coconut water is all it takes to make this fizzy drink with alcohol content. Best part is that it does not require any complicated equipment.
Palm Toddy: Urban Sparkling Wines
- Large knife
- Filter cloth mesh
- 4 pieces Tender Coconut
- 10 tbsp Sugar
- 5 gm sparkling wine yeast can use baking yeast as well
- Step 1: Get a small sized tender coconut. The mature ones tend to have higher fatty acid content and gives the characteristic coconut oil (rancid) smell that is not appreciated by first timers.
- Step 2: Cut open the coconut without losing your digits. I have seen people using wood saws, drill machine, mechanized cutter and machete for it. If you have never performed this task, request your store or a neighbor to help you out.
- Step 3: Empty your coconut water (Neer) in your fermenter (filter it to get rid of any murk or wood from shell). If you can get kegs nothing like this, otherwise 2.5Liter soda bottles are also good.
- Step 4: Add 2.5 table spoon of sugar per coconut (approx. 250ml), add some turbo yeast and allow it to ferment at 10- 25 degree Celsius. Some people also mix equal parts of coconut water and sugarcane juice. (makes it hazy and brown)
- Step 5: If you are using corny kegs, wait for pressure to build up to 20psi. Open the tap, pour some till pressure drop to 4psi (or flow rate becomes slow) and enjoy. Otherwise if you are doing in a bottle, wait for 12 hours or till bottle is tight and start serving.
- Step 6: Bleed out some CO2 every 4 hours after that for safety. One of the best way to bleed out CO2 is to pour yourself a drink.
- Step 7: Best served in traditional terracotta cups (khullad) or empty coconut shells. (No need for champagne flutes). Add some ginger, mint or lemon to taste.
Buy Related Products
Vedic Palm Toddy
In Vedas, Palm toddy is called Varuni. The Nectar or sap from the tree trunk is called Tadi. While the Date palm fruit fruit is used to make Khajoor Beer.
अथ वारुणीलक्षमाह-यत्तलेति। इदमपि सुराभेदः। ताल: तालवृक्षः, खघुरो वृक्षविशेषः प्रसिद्धा, रस इति फलरसः, सन्धितमिति पूर्ववत्, यद्वा तालखर्जूरवृक्षयोरुपरिभागं छित्वा तत्र घटमारोप्य यो रसो घटे पतिस्तत्रैव चिरकालस्थो भवति सा वारुणी; लोके सेन्धी शब्दवाच्या। तद्गुणा वारुणी हृद्या लघुतीक्षणा निहंति च ।।Dīpikā Tīkā
If tāla (tāda) rasa’ or ‘kharjūra rasa’ is put to fermentation in a mud pot for a period of 2 or 3 days, the liquid inside undergoes fermentation on its own and gains considerable alcoholic properties. This liquid is called as ‘varuni’.