Ever wondered what to do with leftover pineapple rinds (peels) or watermelon rinds and other fruit rinds? Well you can ferment your kitchen leftover into an interesting probiotic drink.
Mexican Pineapple Tepache
- 2 liter fermenter
- 400 gm pineapple, watermelon and mango peels it is a drink from waste
- 180 gm brown sugar
- 2.5 gm toddy yeast it can be done without yeast as well. but yeast makes it faster.
- Use organic washed and clean peels only.
- You can use the leftover fruit part especially the core of the pineapple, the eye portion and other areas that have the fruit flavors but are not eaten.
- Take a 2 liter glass jar and put all the rinds peels and fleshy seeds there. Top it up with water and add sugar.
- Add ginger, cumin and spices to taste. Smoked or roasted chilli is always great in mexican drinks.
- Add some glass weight (inverted empty heavy whyskey glasses work great) to ensure that the peels don't start floating up and introduce mold.
- Optional Add airlock (else open the lid twice a day to allow the build up gasses to escape. It should start bubbling by next morning.
- After 2 days, filter the liquid. Put it in the refrigrator for a day to clear and serve.
- Optional. Put it in airtight bottles for a day for the CO2 to start building up and making it fizzy. Remeber this drink is best consumed fresh. It becomes too sour after a week. Best served chilled.
Buy Related Products
This recipe can be easily tweaked to make a mango tepcahe as well.