Mango beer is sweet-sour malty ale beer with high on fruity notes. It requires 4-5 days of brewing making it a great option for a weekend with friends.
A refreshing summer drink made without hops from simple kitchen ingredients
- Fermenter bucket or vessel
- Bottling Setup (glass bottles, crown caps, capper and bottle filler wand)
- 1 kg Fresh mango pulp
- 1.5 kg Dry Malt Extract
- 10 gm Fruit Ale yeast 2 packets X 5gm
- 2 gm Pectinase enzyme 2gm
- 1 gm Campden potassium Bi Meta Sulphite
- Ginger powder
- 25 gm Priming Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Gelatin
- 3 gm Bentonite
- Take about 2kg of overripe mangoes (yields 1kg pulp), wash them thoroughly to remove all traces of pesticide and carbide.
- Squish them to remove the stone from the skin and release the pulp
- After you have removed all pulp by hand, use a spoon to scrape the insides of the skin and the fibers stuck on the stone.
- Add some campden (0.5gm) pre-dissolved into a solution to stabilize and kill all wild mold, acetobactor and other micro-organisms. and hold it for 24 hours in an airtight jar.
- Add 2gm of pectinase powder to break down cell walls and attain better clarity
- Wash the skin & stones in a separate 5 liter water and save that water for wort preparation
- Heat the water from the mango washing.
- Add DME continuously stirring it to prevent lumps, scorching or boiling over
- Once the wort is fully mixed, add Ginger and other herbs that you want to introduce and turn off the flame
- Add sterilized mango pulp & top it up with boiled water ice to make 10 liters.
- Sanitize all equipment with iodophor (1ml per liter of water)
- Pinch the yeast and wait till you see activity (else reach out for your backup yeast pack)
- Mix the wort & yeast in the fermenter and wait for the magic to happen.
- Add 6% bentonite solution to get better clarity.
After 4 days
- Bubbling should have stopped, else wait for another day.
- Taste the beer and make adjustments to sweetness, PH balance etc. to get the perfect taste.
- Add Gelatin & cold crash for a day to improve the clarity.
- Proceed to bottling only after you are satisfied with taste & clarity.
- Take the second packet of yeast and mix it with priming sugar (don’t add water yet)
- Use the beer bottle filler to fill your 30 pints of beer and add 1/2 a teaspoon of the yeast + priming sugar mixture for the fizz/head.
- Keep it in a cool place for 3 days and invite your friends over for a party.
You can make a similar ale from a variety of fruits and ingredients. Pineapple and strawberries make wonderful ales as well.