Commercial sauce is loaded with potato, pumpkin and other starchy thickeners that strip away all the flavors and aromas. Today we will discuss how you can make a simple chili sauce at home that can last a whole year without any preservatives.
Home Made tabasco sauce recipe
A simple fermented chilli sauce recipe. Use organic ingredients, no need to add any preservatives.
- jar with airtight lid
- Large knife
- 550 gm Chilli I prefer bird eye chilli and other strong chilli compared with kashmiri mirch
- 55 gm salt to make a brine and prevent mold formation
- 1 liter water
- 12 cloves garlic
- spices to taste
- 600 gm tomato roasted tomato gives a nice smoky flavor. Also it helps keep the chilli hotness controlled.
- 2 tbsp frying oil to saute garlic, spices and tomato.
- clean all chilli, remove stem and any damaged chilli
- slice them in half in length. This allows the salt and the culture a larger surface area to ferment quickly. (use gloves and eyewear to prevent irritation)
- make brine (mix salt and water). Pour it in the jar full of chopped chilli
- make sure all chilli is covered and submerged in water. put weight to prevent floating chilli.
- wait for 5 days for lacto fermentation to set in. It will produce a lot of CO2 (so vent it out periodically if needed)
- strain the chilli out and put it in a blender to make a puree.
- In a seperate saucepan, saute the garlic and spices in oil
- in the fire oven or flame, cook the tomato till the peel becomes blackish and gives a smoky flavor.
- Make a puree of all the ingredients in the mixer
- add some vinegar, salt, oil, and seasoning to taste
- filter and bottle. It can be stored in refrigrator for upto a year.
Being Lacto fermented, it aids digestion. Also, fermentation kills away all sugar making the sauce healthier to market alternatives.