As per the legend, Kefir was a gift of the Mohammad to the shepherds of the Caucasus Mountains. Although passed from generation to generation, the recipe and the culture was always a closely guarded secret. The Russian Tsar brought them to Europe and it proliferated ever since. Milk Kefir is loved by anybody who likes yogurt. It is a creamy, tangy smoothie, which can be drunk as is or flavored with fruits and sugar.
- Airtight glass bottle
- Tea strainer
- 1 liter Full cream milk boil and sterlize it before use
- 1 tbsp kefir grains can be reused.
- Take a bowl of full cream milk. (Substitution with coconut milk and other vegan options is also possible). However, skimmed milk should be avoided.
- Boil and cool down the milk to room temperature, add a teaspoon of kefir grains and put it in an airtight container.
- Shake it a bit every hour and in 4 hours we will get a creamy, fermented kefir.
- Use a tea strainer to filter the kefir out. In this, we get back our knotty, rubbery kefir grains, which we can use for our next batch.