Meghalaya excise department has invited for comments, feedback, and suggestions from citizens before they open up the commercial sale of homemade wine in the state. This is a big step towards acceptance of Indian style fruit wines in the mainstream liquor industry.
Earlier last year Kerala government had started issuing the licence to cashew, jackfruit & banana wineries.
Indegenious style low alcoholic fruit wines impact the economy by:
- Better price to farmers. Especially when there is a lack of adequate cold storage, transport facility and processing plants for perishable fruits
- Bringing tourism & improving the pride of the region through its unique taste
- Employment generation in villages through promotion of cottage industry
- Health benefits: Unlike distilled spirits, wines have lower alcohol and is full of nutrients from the fruits it is made of.
- Improving tax revenue for the state.
- Curbing the illegal distillation.