Asafetida (Hing)is an Arabic gum extracted from the roots of Ferula herbs. It has a pungent smell that can overpower any dish. It is used in Unani and Ayurveda medicines for a variety of ailments. What is sold in the stores today is primarily a wheat flour mixed with 2-5% of the gum. This recipe is designed for the unprocessed Arabic gum (which is 20-50 times more potent). We can also incorporate a lot of herbs, which have an overpowering taste to cater to specific ailments. However, please talk to your medical practitioner before incorporating powerful herbs in functional foods. Also do make sure to label them appropriately, so that they are not consumed accidentally by others.
Aam Hing ka Aachar (Mango Hing Pickle)
- pickle jar
- 1 kg Raw Mango
- 150 gm Salt
- 5 gm Hing 5gms gum or 2.5 tablespoons of powder,
- 25-50 gm Turmeric root fresh
- 50-100 gm Ginger fresh root
- 3 teaspoon Red chili powder
- Clean the roots and mangoes and soak them for an hour. Shake off all excess water
- Chop them into matchstick (thin & long) pieces. I discard the stones (mango seeds) but if the mangoes were tender, they can be chopped down as well.
- Rub salt over the cut mangoes, turmeric, and ginger mixture and sprinkle the rest of the spices on it. Put them in a pickle jar and keep it in Sun for 3 days.
- The salt removes excess moisture and the Sun dries them up. Hence making the pickle safe for yearlong storage.
- Mix the pickle well for the first 3 days, so that moisture from the interiors can also be dehydrated. And cover with a muslin cloth.
- After three days, store it in a dark dry place and place an airtight lid. After 15 days, the pickling is complete and is ready for consumption.
Although it is called a mango pickle, mango only acts as the base substrate. The probiotics and health benefits of this super food comes from the fermented roots and spices. The sour, salty and spicy flavors to mask the astringency of the herbal medicine. Pickling is an amazing way to imbibe strong flavors and yet make it palatable.
wow its so simple