“Nitro” cold brew is all the rage. What we don’t realize is that it is so simple and a rewarding experience. Without any week long wait, heating, temperature control: This is as easy and as unique as brewing can get. Here are the list of steps and some equipment you will need.
Nitro- Cold Brew Coffee
- 1.2 Liter bottle with airtight lid
- Corny Keg
- Carbonation stone
- 100 gm Filter Coffee (not instant coffee) Go for one without chicory. Any coarse ground freshly roasted coffee will be perfect
- 1 Liter Water filtered tap water is perfect
- 20 gm Sugar Milk and sugar to taste
- 16 gm Nitrogen Gas to improve mouthfeel and get those creamy guiness stout like bubbles
- Take 100gm of coarsly ground fresh roasted coffee w
- with 1 lites of water at room temperature and give it a shake. And old french coffee press might do the trick but a mason jar is preferred. shake it a couple of times so that all the coffee mixes well and does not clump together.
- Keep it in refrigrator overnight (8-24 hours is ideal). Normal expresso machine uses steam extraction of flavors, but cold extraction uses time instead of heat steeping. As a result the aroma and flavor profile that you will get will be very different.
- Next day, filter out the coffee to remove the spend coffee powder. Your cold brew is ready. Add sugar and dilute it as per your taste.
- Now we are going to make it into a nitro coffee. For this you need a cylinder of Nitrogen with regulator and hose. Don't use CO2 as it produces carboxylic acid (which is the reason why soda taste so different from plain water). Nitrogen gas can be found in medical/hospital gas supply store. It is heavily used to packaging industry from packing chips to fruit juices.
- If you have beer kegging equipment, then the entire setup can be used. So we are highlighting the changes only. CO2 is readily soluble in water at low temperature, but Nitrogen gas is not. Hence we need a carbonation stone to infuse nitrogen and create the froth.
- Now you need a pressure container. It could be CO2 keg or a PET bottle with carbonation caps.
- Use Ball lock keg connects to pressurize the cold brew coffee. Best part about carbonation stone is that it takes hardly 5 minutes to make nitro cold brew good for serving.
- Now use a party tap or pluto gun to serve the coffee. Remember to pour vertically to get the best froth.
- Add milk and sugar as per taste and wait for the nitrogen bubbles to make a unique coffee experience.
Being non-alcoholic you can also sell it in your cafe to raise funds for your home-brewing supplies.